Thursday, January 31, 2008

My mother's home

This week I am helping my mother to paint her spare bedroom. She lives in a small house that is completely filled with her warm loving energy. When you step over the doorstep it welcomes you like a warm blanket :) I find is very touching to notice how people respond to that. To see workmen sitting on her couch with a cup of coffee saying that they like her interior very much. You can tell from their faces that they wonder why they mention that. It makes me happy to know the answer. It is her loving energy that makes you feel welcome; not only as a guest but welcome as a person too, just as you are :)) My mother has three lovely cats that are very relaxed and friendly just like herself. One of them just came around one day and decided to stay; I can't blame him. Besides the cats there are always fresh flowers in her house (which the cats rearrange all the time ;) Furthermore there is a Buddha in every room and incense holders. An eye catcher in the living room is the cat/bookcase that I have made for her. There is space to store books and the cats can climb and play in it. In the centre of the bookcase there is a Chinese Buddha with a lantern behind him. The colour palette in her house is an intriguing combination of different sand colours mixed with natural accessories like wood and shells. One of the most important lessons I have learned about decorating I learned from my mother. She told me that whatever you do to decorate or furnish your house, do it with love. And she was right it is not only the interior by itself that determines the charisma of your house. It is the warm energy that surrounds your interior when you affectionately have chosen and arranged it. That welcoming warm energy makes the difference between a house and a home :)

8 comments:

Peggy said...

Oh my! That picture of the cat perched in the bookcase! I want to cuddle him. So adorable, making it very hard to remain in my sans-cat resolve. I really want a cat, but want to wait because I plan to move to a bigger place this year.

Anonymous said...

Great Post Sas,
Your every post is so serene and and totally bathed in your loving energy. Buddha and cats.. two of my personal favorites too. I also have a love for "Ganesha" the hindu diety of intellect, wisdom and good luck.

How did you manage to put a light behind the buddha? It gives him that added glory.

And I agree with you about the loving energy making a home from a house. In some homes you can just feel the tension so thick that you can cut it with a knife.. while in others the love is so powerful that you just feel like visitng those people over and over again.

Really liked your mom's house and her views on decorating.

Vinita

Sas said...

Hello Peggy, nice to hear you liked the post :)

Wow a bigger place how exiting!
I would wait too if I were you because it would be lovely to start in your new home (when you're done decorating it) with a new companion :))

I am trying to paint this week with cats around but that is very difficult. They constantly lie in wait to snatch a brush or to dip their claws in the paint hihi

Sas

Sas said...

Hello Vinita, thank you for the nice comment on my mothers home, I will tell her you liked it :)

Thanks also for the great tea link. All those beautiful tea kettles and blooming teas hmmm

By the way the light behind the Buddha is a very simple solution! It is a lantern with Christmas lights in it :))

Sas

Sas said...

Vinita,
I just saw this on youtube about Ganesha.
Beautiful colours :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sas,
I saw the You tube video too. Thank you. The musical copper bowl reminded me about a music program I had seen on tv a couple of years back. They had mentioned that these tibetan copper bowls are used even in music therapy to cure patients of depression and sadness.
I have not seen one but certainly would like to own one. Till then, there is company which makes wind chimes on similar principles so I went and bought myself a windchime.
It has the same effect.
http://www.musicofspheres.com/

Vinita

Sas said...

Hello Vinita :)

Thank you for your lovely e-card about "Ganesh Pooja" The music, the colours and the mood were a wonderful way to start this day!

I love wind chimes too every time I hear mine singing with the wind it makes me smile :))

Sas

Vineeta said...

Lovely place :) from whatever I could see of it. Your mother sounds like a wonderful person- why am I not surprised :)? And hugely talented too- Its a great talent to keep a beautiful home AND fill it with loving energies. Loved this post!